The Legacy of Cheryl and Jack Taunton in Sports and Exercise Medicine: Pioneers, Mentors, and Friends
Keywords:sports medicine, Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Mentorship, Trainee, Injury Prevention, Rehabilitation, Exercise Rehabilitation, Clinical Exercise Rehabilitation
This commentary outlines the remarkable contributions of Cheryl and Jack Taunton to the exercise sciences, kinesiology, high performance sport, and sports and exercise medicine. We also highlight the role that the Tauntons have played in our lives. We outline our more than 20 year relationship with the Tauntons beginning as colleagues progressing to trusting friends. We emphasize how many of our achievements and that of our trainees and children can be attributed directly to the mentorship, guidance, and friendship provided by Cheryl and Jack. We discuss our experiences working together with Cheryl and Jack during important international events (such as the 2010 Winter and Paralympic Games and the Masters Games), working with various professional teams and Olympic athletes, and various other initiatives that they have spearheaded over the years. Through these experiences, we have seen first-hand the influence that this dynamic duo has had on the lives of others and elite sport, clinical physiology, and sports and exercise medicine (to name just a few areas). We are honoured to call them friends and mentors.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Darren Warburton, Shannon Bredin
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Terms of Publication
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the Health & Fitness Journal of Canada’s right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The Contributor (author(s)) represents and guarantees that the Contributor is the sole proprietor of the work and the Contributor has full power to make this Agreement and grant that the work does not infringe the copyright or other proprietary right of any other person; and the work contains no libellous or other unlawful matter and makes no improper invasion of the privacy of any other person. The Contributor also represents and is responsible for the accuracy of the work.
- The Contributor will read, correct, and return promptly galleys and page proofs to the Editor (or designate). The Contributor will be responsible for the completeness and accuracy of these corrections. If the Contributor does not return galleys and page proofs within the schedule agreed upon with the Editor (or designate), the Publisher may proceed without the Contributor corrections.
- When applicable, the Contributor agrees to obtain written permissions and letters of agreement for all matter contained in the work that is protected by existing copyright, paying any permission fees for the use of text or illustrations controlled by others, and furnishing the Publisher with written evidence of the copyright owner’s authorization to use the material.
- When applicable, the Contributor agrees to obtain written permission for inclusion of any photographic materials involving a human subject, and provide the Publisher with written evidence of the subject’s authorization to use this material. In the case of subjects who have not reached the age of majority, the Contributor agrees to obtain and furnish the Publisher with written permission from the parent and/or legal guardian.
- The Contributor may draw on and refer to material in the work in preparing other articles for publication in scholarly and professional journals and papers for delivery at professional meetings, provided that credit is given to the work and to the Publisher.
- This agreement may not be changed unless the Contributor and the Publisher agree to the change by means of a formal addendum signed by the Contributor and the Publisher’s representative.
- This agreement shall be construed and governed according to the laws of the province of British Columbia and shall be binding upon the parties hereto, their heirs, successors, assigns, and personal representatives. Should any formal proceedings related to this agreement be brought, such formal proceeding may be brought only in the province of British Columbia.
By submitting an article to the Health & Fitness Journal of Canada the Contributor has accepted and agreed to all terms outlined in the copyright notice.